Current application cycle: Spring 2018 for students planning to study abroad in Fall 2018 or full academic year 2019 (F18 and Sp19)
Wolves Abroad Grants:
Encouraging Study Abroad for First-Time International Travelers
: Competitive awards to encourage participation in study abroad programs by students who have never been out of the country before
and who have demonstrated financial need. Students should complete this application by clicking on Apply Now
above in addition to completing the separate online application for the study abroad program they've selected. Grants will be awarded in three amounts, based on the type of program a student is participating in: $1500, $3000 and $5000. Winners will be selected by the Education Abroad Advisory Council.
: Applicants must be currently enrolled, degree-seeking UWG students. Undergraduate students must have at least a 2.75 GPA to be eligible to apply for the WAG program; graduate students must have a graduate GPA of at least 3.2 and may not be in provisional status. First-semester freshmen and transfer students in their first semester at UWG will need to submit a Midterm Grade Report as part of their application. Applicants may not have traveled abroad before for any reason*
; passports will be checked as part of the application process to verify this requirement. Students must also be eligible for and have completed the required paperwork to secure financial aid for the year in which they apply for the scholarship.
(1) Completed application questionnaire: click on Apply Now
above to get started.
(2) Two letters of reference from UWG faculty: request these electronically from faculty who can talk about your maturity, intellectual curiosity, dependability and other qualities that indicate your readiness to participate in and succeed as part of a program abroad.
(3) Essay of 500-700 words presenting a compelling and thoughtful response to the following question: What led you to choose the particular study abroad program that you are applying to, and how will that program help you to achieve your academic, personal and/or career goals?
You will be given instructions for submitting your essay from the application page.
Awards may only be used in the academic cycle for which they are awarded for the specific program the student lists in his/her application. Awards may not be transferred to a future academic cycle. WAG awards will be given out in two academic cycles per year:
- Fall 2017 award cycle for students planning to participate in study abroad (short-term or exchange programs) in Spring 2018 or Summer 2018: deadline November 5, 2017 with awards announced in December.
- Spring 2018 awards cycle for students planning to participate in study abroad (short-term or exchange programs) in Fall 2018 or for a one-year exchange program that begins in Fall 2018: Deadline March 5, 2018 with awards announced in April.
Students must be officially accepted to the program they have selected in order to receive this award. Students may apply for a Wolves Abroad Grant and for UWG's general Education Abroad Scholarship program, but may only receive an award from one of these programs. Thus, students who are selected for WAG will not be able to receive additional funding from the general Education Abroad fund, although they may still be eligible for departmental or external awards.
*Students are eligible for this award only if they have never traveled outside the U.S. (50 states) or U.S. territories (i.e. Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands).