Next application cycle: Spring/Summer 2019, due Nov. 5, 2018
Wolves Abroad Grants:
Encouraging Study Abroad for First-Time International Travelers
: Competitive awards to encourage participation in study abroad programs by students who have never been out of the country before
and who have demonstrated financial need. Students should complete this application by clicking on Apply Now
above in addition to completing the separate online application for the study abroad program they've selected. Winners will be selected by the Education Abroad Advisory Council.
: Applicants must be currently enrolled, degree-seeking UWG students. Undergraduate students must have at least a 2.75 GPA to be eligible to apply for the WAG program; graduate students must have a graduate GPA of at least 3.2 and may not be in provisional status. First-semester freshmen and transfer students in their first semester at UWG will need to submit a Midterm Grade Report as part of their application. Applicants may not have traveled abroad before for any reason*
; passports will be checked as part of the application process to verify this requirement. Students must also be eligible for and have completed the required paperwork to secure financial aid for the year in which they apply for the scholarship.
(1) Completed application questionnaire: click on Apply Now
above to get started.
(2) Two letters of reference from UWG faculty: request these electronically from faculty who can talk about your maturity, intellectual curiosity, dependability and other qualities that indicate your readiness to participate in and succeed as part of a program abroad. References must come through the electronic submission system or may be sent by faculty directly to the Office of Education Abroad (either on paper or to firstname.lastname@example.org).
(3) Essay of 500-700 words presenting a compelling and thoughtful response to the following question: What led you to choose the particular study abroad program that you are applying to, and how will that program help you to achieve your academic, personal and/or career goals?
You will be given instructions for submitting your essay from the application page.
Awards may only be used in the academic cycle for which they are awarded for the specific program the student lists in his/her application. Awards may not be transferred to a future academic cycle. WAG awards will be given out in two academic cycles per year:
- For students planning to participate in a program in Spring 2019 or Summer 2019: deadline November 5, 2018 with awards announced in late December/early January.
- For students planning to participate in a program in Fall 2019 (including semester and year-long programs that begin Fall 19): Deadline March 5, 2019 with awards announced in April.
Students must be officially accepted to the program they have selected in order to receive this award.
Awards are $1000 each.
*Students are eligible for this award only if they have never traveled outside the U.S. (50 states) or U.S. territories (i.e. Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands).